Santa Barbara is situated on the Pacific Ocean near the Santa Yñez Mountains. The UCSB campus is located near the Santa Barbara airport. Participants may also fly into LAX airport in Los Angeles, which is approximately 90 miles southeast of the campus. Shuttle buses run between LAX and Santa Barbara.
UCSB is located on the Pacific Ocean, approximately 90 miles west of the Los Angeles International Airport and approximately 1 mile from the Santa Barbara Airport, in the city of Goleta. The Santa Barbara Airbus (tel. 805-964-7759) provides convenient transportation between LAX and Santa Barbara/Goleta. A taxi may be required once you arrive.
Check with Caltrans for current traffic reports.
- Driving from Los Angeles
- Take I-405 North to US 101 North. Follow US 101 past Ventura and Santa Barbara and exit at Highway 217.
- Driving from San Francisco
- Take US 101 South past Buellton and the state beaches and exit on Los Carneros Road. Turn right on Los Carneros and follow it until it dead-ends at El Colegio. Road. Turn left on El Colegio and proceed to the West Gate entrance.
- From the 217 East Gate entrance:
- Drive through the East Gate
- Turn RIGHT on Mesa Road
- At 3rd stoplight, LEFT on Ocean Road
- Stay on Ocean Road through 1 stoplight, bear RIGHT at the stop sign by the bus circle (you will still be on Ocean Road)
- Continue through two more lights
- At the second light, bear LEFT, still staying on Ocean Road. (If you end up on El Colegio, you have gone too far.)
- Continue until you see Parking Structure 22 on your left.
- From the Los Carneros exit off the 101:
- LEFT onto Los Carneros away from the mountains
- LEFT onto El Colegio
- RIGHT onto Ocean Road
- Continue until you see parking structure 22 on your left.
WEAL will take place in the Humanities and Social Sciences building. You can see a detailed map at: Gaucho E-Map :: HSSB
Line 24x - UCSB Express — Express connection to downtown Santa Barbara.
Line 11 - State/Hollister/UCSB — Stops at the Santa Barbara airport, which is near the UCSB campus in Goleta.
Buses cost $1.75 (exact change) one way, with free transfers to connecting lines. Note that bus service on weekends and evenings is relatively infrequent (about once or twice an hour). Call 805-683-3702 for specific information about current bus service to and from your hotel, or check the links for the hotels below.
Spring weather in Santa Barbara is unpredictable, but daytime temperature highs are typically in the 70°s F (low to mid 20°s C) and nighttime lows in the 50°s F (low to mid 10°s C). Though rain is unlikely, lingering coastal fog can make for chilly days. Don't forget your sweater!
There are no hotels or motels within easy walking distance of UCSB, but some are a short drive or bus ride away.
The places listed below are close to UCSB:
Super 8 Motel
6021 Hollister Ave., Goleta
Ask for the 10% university discount.
A 10-minute ride to campus. (Bus #11 for UCSB or the airport, and the express bus #24x for downtown Santa Barbara)
Best Western South Coast Inn
5620 Calle Real, Goleta
A university discount is available Thursday and Sunday nights.
A 10-minute drive to campus.